Washington, Indiana
Back to Homepage
City Government
Economic Development
Visit Washington
waste water


Q. What does the Wastewater Department do?
They are responsible for maintenance and repair and also new construction of sewer lines in the City of Washington.
What does the Wastewater plant do?
They clean the raw wastewater that the City produces before we release it into the river.
Who do I call if I have a problem?

During working hours 7 AM to 3:30 PM Monday through Friday you can call the Wastewater Department at 254-2792 and after hours you can call the Police Dept at 254-4410.

What does the Wastewater Department do when I have a problem?
We will come out to your location to evaluate the problem and fix it if is our responsibility.
What is the Homeowners responsibility verses the City’s responsibilities?
You as a Homeowner have the sewer lines in your house and the line that goes to the City main line, also know as your house lateral that belong to you. The Wastewater Department is responsible for the City main line from that point forward.
Why do I have a sewer smell in my house and what can I do about it?
A sewer smell is caused by sewer gases coming into your house, probably because of dry “P” traps or cracked or broken sewer lines in the house. The fix is to make sure all your “P” traps have water in them to block the smell, after all that is what they are for and don’t forget the ones in the basement.
What can I do to help lesson the chances of having a sewer problem?
Avoid putting anything in the drain that is not water-soluble or not intended to be put in the drain. (Fats, oil, grease, paint, antifreeze, etc) The other problem homeowners have is their basements flood during rain and the best you can do is to make sure that you get your down spouts runoff away from the house. Make sure that your downspouts do not go into your sewer line.
What do I do if I see someone pouring something into a manhole or catch basin?
Call the police 254-4410 because it is illegal to pour anything into a manhole or catch basin.
Where do I pay my bill?
You can pay your monthly Sewer bill at the following locations; City Hall – (Collections Office) 101 NE 3rd Street Washington 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM (812) 254-2730 Business Office (Drive-Thru Window) 2100 Memorial Ave Washington, IN 8:30 to 4:00 PM (812) 254-5171 You can also pay by check or money order by mailing the payment to: WMU PO Box 800 Washington, IN 47501 Return addressed envelopes may be picked up at either office for mail payments. For your convenience a Drive-thru window is located at the Business office. Please bring the whole bill when paying in person. When paying by mail, please send in the top stub.